Friday, March 30, 2007

jkirlin of The Thing of the Moment

jkirlin was initially a mystery to us. We couldn't decide if he took photos to collect nice images or to set up punchlines. The world doesn't have many funny great photographers, and perhaps still doesn't but he is, as self described, prolific AND we have found, relatively nice (unless you make the mistake of being rude to him and hurting his feeling at the local photo shop, apparently) and harmless which we treasure here at the Photo Meme Hall of Shame. We were also unsure for a long time as to what the 'j' was for, we later learned it's 'Jeff', we are still uncertain as to what the 'kirlin' is for.

1. Who are you and why are you doing this to us?

I'm a rapidly approaching middle age, doughy, myopic, speech pathologist in Maine who has a camera. And that is why I do it to you.

2. What did you have for breakfast?

2 Bacon egg and cheese biscuits and a small diet coke, no ice. Never ice and always consumed in the car.

3. Do you know Kerrin?

Why? What has she told you? Do I get to tell my side of the story?

4. What equipment do or have you used? Are there any manufacturers you'd like to praise or bad mouth here?

I have a Canon Rebel XTi and a few different low end lenses that I like to lug around in this big bag because I think it looks cool but I still love point and shoots. I've a Canon Powershot S2 and a Panasonic FX01. I've also got a Holga which I'm still not using properly and a vintage Kodak Brownie 2 that I put some film though. I started taking photos with digitals but now find myself interested in film as in 'THAT" is how they used to do it??

5. What other hobbies do you enjoy or enjoy inflicting upon others?

I have a friend who forces me to do outside/active type things and I fight her every step of the way. I kayak, ski, and other things here and there. But now when I do them, they are just for the photo op.

6. Where else can we see your photos? Do you have any side projects?

I have some on permanent display at Mount Desert Island Hospital behind the registration desk only because I was carrying them out after a temporary display and I saw they were repainting the wall so I asked Joe, the office manager if he wanted them and to spare me any embarrassment just took them and hung them up. So if one were to fall and twist an ankle while vacationing at Acadia National Park, you can see them as you register.

Or here...

http://jkirlin.blogspot.com/2004/12/new-icon.html
http://jkirlin.blogspot.com/2006/08/coming-rain.html
http://jkirlin.blogspot.com/2006/05/no-parking-in-alley.html
http://jkirlin.blogspot.com/2005/06/wasp-on-windowsill.html
http://jkirlin.blogspot.com/2005/01/kayaks.html

7. What is the best photo that you missed?

I once saw 15 or 20 of clowns on break either before or after their act and they were standing outside the auditorium in a big group just milling around, smoking, and checking their watches and things. By the time I got over the shock and turned around there were gone. So you just have to imagine it. Now imagine a really great photo of it. That's it.

8. Tell us your worst habit.

I'm a nail biter. All of my other habits are virtuous and wholesome.

9. Why do you call it that?

The Thing of the Moment refers to the act of picking up a camera, taking a photo, sticking it on the Internet and bugging people to look at it. The Thing of the Moment NEVER EVER refers to the subject EVER. It's why you never see a post called The Blue Thing of the Moment, The Person of the Moment, etc...Other Things of the Moment have been sailing, collecting EB White 1st editions, learning magic tricks, playing the harmonica, etc....When a friend of mine saw an increasing interest in taking photos she said 'Oh, this the thing of the moment now?' And it was.

10. If you weren't doing what you do now, what else WOULD you be doing? Photographer doesn't count.

I certainly wouldn't be a photographer anyway. Ummm..I think a toll taker would be a cool job. It's a state gig. You are inside, yet still outdoors or vice versa. I would take great pride in my job. I would love it so much I'd weep every day.

11. What are you wearing.

My usual smoking jacket, pipe, slippers, ascot and lapdog.

12. Anything else you'd like to add?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every one should get to know Kirlin. One of the nicest people on the internet.

Except of course when he is whining about how long it was taking to post this interview. :)

12:25 PM  
Blogger kmm said...

Hi Jeff, Well, I have been visiting you so often! People are probably beginning to talk or I'll be arrested for being a stalker. So it's best to just deny everything. Love your pics. Cheers Kerrin

6:16 PM  
Blogger Iron Flatline said...

A renaissance man. Thanks for pointing him out. Even IF it was with a novelty No.1 foam finger.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Kathe said...

I've known the Kirlmeister for years. In fact, I've known him for so long that it was, in fact, Jeff who said, "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." (Edgar Allan Poe stole it from jkirlin)

5:05 AM  
Blogger neene said...

jkirlin rulz
but of course,
everyone already knows that

12:34 PM  
Blogger Doohickie said...

I've been a fan of Jeff's work for a while. I've told him that he takes pictures of a life well-lived, and a life I wouldn't mind stepping into for a bit. March 2005 is my favorite month.

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home