Saturday, August 12, 2006

Unshamed and Reshamed


We hereby retract any aspersions we cast on the commonness of cockatoos in Australia. Having been given the heads up by the delightful and helpful Kerrin (http://kerrinsdailyphoto.blogspot.com/), we did a bit of Googling and discovered that cockatoos are indeed so common that they have stopped being accepted in some areas as currency.
HOWEVER, just as we were about to shine the light of forgiveness upon Mandy, the self-same cockatoo (they can’t be that common if she has to use the same one over and over again and we’d recognize those beady eyes anywhere) rears its ugly -or at least small and feathered- head for ThursdayChallenge’s ‘happy’ theme. So, unless Kerrin can send us the heads up on cockatoos being the happiest birds in Australia, Mandy is officially re-named and shamed. http://collective.my-expressions.com/archives/193_1222785705/156529

We would also like to extend our heartfelt congratulations to Mr Rich Legg of http://www.leggnet.com for his nomination as Pxite Editor’s Choice. We are particularly happy to see that it was ‘The Bride’ who was chosen. We have in the last months come to think of her as family, given that we have seen more of her than our own nearest and dearest. Again, a big hand for Mr Rich Legg (that’s http://www.leggnett.com).


Due to public demand and with no efforts spared, we joyously present The Nomination Slot. Now until some of you like-minded citizens get up off your asses and help us out, we’ll only be able to do this monthly. We’ll begin with July 2006. Cast your twinkly little eyes over to the right. You see there? That Top Five List, waiting, gasping even, to be filled with the month’s top five offenders? Well, that’s where it’s gonna be. Now all you have to do is browse the nominees below and mail us (comments accepted as valid entries) with your choice for the Top 5. Results will be posted at the end of the month (and if we forget, please somebody send us a mail to remind us).
Nominees, in no particular order:

  1. Cuidado/ Speed (Pxite) http://photosandpursuits.blogspot.com/2006/07/speed.html
  2. Lenscape/ Design (Pxite) http://www.ottokphotography.com/archives/4128_1571453806/170114
  3. Mandy/Happy (ThursdayChallenge) http://collective.my-expressions.com/archives/193_1222785705/156529
  4. Kitaoka/ Festivity (Pxite) http://photos.kitaoka.us/down.htm
  5. Gdimension/ Festivity (Pxite) http://gdimension.typepad.com/gdimension/2006/02/pony_fight_iii.html
  6. Pop1280/ Number (Pxite) http://pop1280.net/archives/2004/10/something_is_mi.html
  7. Sanakand/ Minimal (Lensday) http://www.tutoshop.com/sanakand/archives/18681
  8. Photogreen/ Shallow (Lensday) http://www.photogreen.net/index.php?id=187
  9. Leggnet/ Electric (Macroday) http://www.leggnet.com/2006/04/dripping-fence.html
  10. Leggnet/ Common (PhotoFriday) http://www.leggnet.com/2006/04/at-park.html



11 Comments:

Blogger kmm said...

No sorry, I have to say the Australian Kookaburra would have to be posted for happy. His call is a raucous laugh. I have just posted a recent photo of one but not in photofriday.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's number 9 ...

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I should defend myself here.

My photo for "Festivity" was taken at the 2006 Jeju Fire Festival, and was one of the main events in that festival.

It was a very festive festival, with many traditional festivities.

One of the most festive festivities was the "Pony Love Fighting" game (the other contest at PXITE I used this in), which I explained directly under the picture.

I hope everyone has the chance to sometime enjoy such a festive festivity as the Jeju Fire Festival, and maybe take a picture or two.

Festivity.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Cuidado said...

Oh dear! I just came upon this page and find myself shamed. My daughter's photo of her friend and the boat struck us both as funny when I asked her if she had any photos that might show speed. So sorry!

3:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kerrin: We, at the PhotoMemeHallOfShame during a recent staff meeting had to admit that moreso than your pictures of birds that confuse us, what truly makes us happy is your vigorous defense which usually enlightens said staff once our hangovers clear. We also appreciate the link and look forward to more vigorous defenses. We have our eye on your. The kindly 3rd one.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear 6: We agree. Well, and other the other 9, also.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear g: I have to admit that there was not universal agreement on whether to add your ponies chewing on each other. I find them quite festive and suspected there was some festival/festivities/festivus involved. I have seen ponies and never seen them fighting (unless it was passive aggressive non commmunication that Dr Phil hates so much) and not been to a pony festival so the inverse was that they must be festiving.

But mememonitor threatened to go pony on my ass because mememonitor is a pony lover. So while I could not defend you, I am glad you made the effort and shall indicate at the next staff meeting that mememonitor had indeed, been told so.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear cuidado: We here at the Photo Meme Hall of Shame recognize irony and thusly bring it here to be examined in the light of day. We would comment on your own website but we are certain you do not want us sullying up your ISP and neither do they. Think of it not as public shaming but rather, exposure. It gives the blokes a chance to go back for a second round. Although as we go back and read your vigorous defense we are confused as to why you are submitted someone else's photo?

Do what frequent shamee Rich Legg has done. Create a blog for every member of your family, your postman, cat, rat, garanimal and post accordingly.

3:18 PM  
Blogger kmm said...

I was disagreeing with the use of a cockatoo as a happy bird. And used the kookaburra as the better example that could have been used. None of my bird photos have been used in challenges and are only posted because I like birds. More water in the scotch might reduce the hangover. Keep up the good work. I will be working harder not to be featured.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Wow, I have no defence here. I am shamed. Please avert your eyes in the coming weeks for the other cockatoo photo that will be appearing on my blog (but not in any memes!). I like them, I think they are fun, but I agree, I went into overkill for a while there. I have a terrible feeling I've also done it with my Split Enz photos. I'll be watching to see if I become a multiple shamee...

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm n:8

I remember when I submited this picture on Lensday. I remember that it was early in the morning. I didn't had my coffee yet. And I read shadow instead of shallow. I realised that I was wrong the minute after I submited the link to my picture. I couldn't find a way to delete the link. I've sent a mail to Mikey but didn't get any reply.
What is a shame is that I had a picture that would have perfectly fit the theme.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home